Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, Inc., celebrates American diversity, multiculturalism, and religious pluralism.
As Jews we have a special understanding of the immigrant experience, especially refugees seeking safe haven from perilous circumstances occurring in their native countries.
Hadassah expresses deep concern over the humanitarian crisis in Syria and for the plight of Syrian refugees. We commend the generosity of the people and government of the State of Israel for organizing aid, sending medical teams, and arranging transport for the injured to Israeli hospitals for treatment, including Hadassah Medical Organization (HMO). We call upon all countries to provide sanctuary and the opportunity for Syrian refugees to flee political upheaval and violence.
Hadassah applauds community-driven and interfaith efforts to help resettle and support Syrian refugees and other immigrants here in the United States. Hadassah reaffirms and expands its support for refugee and immigration policies, calling on the U.S. government to:
- Expedite the granting of refugee status, upon proper vetting, and increase the resettlement of Syrian refugees in the U.S.;
- Ensure nondiscriminatory application of United States immigration laws and attendant policies, without regard to an individual’s race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and monetary status;
- Reauthorize policies, such as the Lautenberg Amendment, which facilitate the resettlement of refugees who are persecuted religious minorities;
- Improve the process for asylum seekers, especially for those seeking a safe haven from gender-based violence;
- Negotiate comprehensive bipartisan immigration reform that addresses national security, protects undocumented immigrants registered under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, promotes the unification of families, and ceases the forced return of immigrants to their native countries without appeal.