Passover Dessert Recipes
from the 2010 Park Slope Women’s Seder
Coconut Almond Macaroons
3 Cups sliced almonds
4 Cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 Cup sugar
6 egg whites (divided)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 8-10
minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven; cool and crumble coarsely.
2. Line two baking sheets with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. (or use ungreased
3. In a sauce pan, combine coconut, sugar, and four egg whites. Cook over low heat stirring constantly
for about six minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. DO NOT SIMMER. Remove form the heat and
stir in almond extract, almonds, and two remaining egg whites.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the macaroons are golden. Cool completely then peel off
of the foil or parchment paper.
6. In a small heavy saucepan or double boiler, melt chocolate and shortening over low heat, stir until
smooth. Put the cool macaroons back on the parchment paper, foil or sheets or waxed paper. Drizzle
with melted chocolate. Let sit an hour until the chocolate is set.
7. Store between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container for up to two weeks, or freeze for up to
Bubbe’s Pesach Apple Cake
1 C sugar
1 C matzo meal
1/2 C oil
1/2 t Vanilla (optional)
3 large apples
Cinnamon sugar (optional)
1. Beat eggs, add sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
2. Alternately beat in matzo meal and oil.
3. Peel and slice apples. Spread in oiled 9” x 13” pan (Season with cinnamon sugar, lemon, raisins, etc.)
Cover with batter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F, 45 minutes.
3 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/4 C butter
1/8 t salt
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C cake meal
1/2 C chopped nuts
1. Melt chocolate and butter in either the microwave, or the top of a double boiler. Cool
2. Beat eggs until light and thick, beat in sugar and salt. Fold in the chocolate mixture, then cake meal and nuts.
3. Bake in greased 8” square pan at 350 deg. F. for 35 minutes.
4. Cut while hot, but cool in pan before removing.
Passover Banana Cake
from Ethel Gold
7 eggs (at room temperature) 1 cup mashed bananas
3/4 cup matzo cake meal 1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp. salt 1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Grease 10-inch spring-form pan
2. Sift dry ingredients, and mix with nuts.
3. Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until soft peaks stand; set aside.
4. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add rest of sugar. Add mashed bananas, and beat until
5. Fold in sifted dry ingredients mixed with nuts.
6. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
7. Pour into prepared 10-inch spring-form tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50 minutes.
8. Remove from oven; invert on rack and cool before removing from cake pan.