(New York, NY -- June 17, 2005) -- National President June Walker has named Joyce Rabin of Woodmere, NY, to serve as Co-Chair of the 91st National Convention of Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America. Some 2,000 delegates will attend the annual gathering to be held Sunday, July 17 through Wednesday, July 20, 2005 in Washington, DC.
The national convention serves as an educational and motivational forum to launch and enhance volunteer programs that delegates will use in their chapter and unit activities throughout the upcoming year. Attending delegates comprise the governing body of Hadassah, and during the convention they elect officials and pass policies and resolutions on Zionist and American issues. Socializing, networking, and rejuvenating one’s spirit are also major components of Hadassah conventions.
The 91st Convention will bring together the two most important concepts to Hadassah members: American patriotism and love of Israel, perfectly captured by this year’s convention theme, “What So Proudly We Hail.” Over the course of three days a roster of government officials, academic experts, and medical professionals will serve as keynote speakers and on discussion panels, empowering delegates to advocate with their national and local representatives on an array of American and Israel-based issues.
“We are especially gratified with the positive response to this July’s convention,” says Rabin. “This speaks volumes about our collective pride as Americans, as Jews, as Zionists and as volunteers in Hadassah.”
A longtime Hadassah activist, Joyce Rabin is a member of the National Board, and the incoming Hadassah Medical Organization Campaign Coordinator. A past National Vice-President, she has previously served as Coordinator of the Development Division, and Chair of the Major Gifts Department, as well as President of the Nassau Region of Hadassah..
In her local Jewish community, Joyce has served as Program Chair of the Long Island Jewish Women’s Forum and in the Long Island Women’s Division of State of Israel Bonds. She is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Jewish National Fund.
Her Co-Chair for the 91st National Convention is Judy Palkovitz, of Pittsburg, PA.
91st Hadassah National Convention program highlights:
• What So Proudly We Hail will be perfectly expressed in the plenary session, The State of the Union, which will examine the alliance between the U.S. and Israel and feature The Hon. Daniel Ayalon, Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. and Sen. Joseph R. Biden (D-DE).
• In keeping with the convention’s capital theme, it will be run like a political convention with a series of caucuses and plenaries addressing issues of concern:
• Israel on the Hill will feature Prof. Shlomo Avineri, Hebrew University; Ester Kurz, of AIPAC; Tamar Cofman Wittes, Saban Center for Middle East Policy.
• The First Amendment: Are Your Freedoms at Risk?: Gloria Feldt, past president, Planned Parenthood; Rep. Janice D. Schakowsky (D-Il); Nadine Strossen, president, ACLU.
• The Future of Advanced Medical Research: Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE); Prof. Benjamin E. Reubinoff, Director Hadassah Research Center of Human Embryonic Stem Cells; Daniel Perry, president, Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research.
• Heart Disease Doesn’t Care What You Wear: Dr. Nieca Goldberg, Lenox Hill Hospital; Dr. Vivian W. Pinn, NIH; Judy Palkovitz, convention Co-Chair.
• Politics & Policy – Why Women Matter: Ellen Malcolm, president, EMILY’s List; Letty Cottin Pogrebin, author; Linda Chavez, political analyst; Dee Dee Myers, political commentator.
• Some 1,500 delegates will spend an entire morning on Capitol Hill advocating on U.S. and Israeli issues with their own senators and representatives.
• The Henrietta Szold Award, Hadassah’s highest honor, will be given to the Hon. Daniel Kurtzer, U.S. Ambassador to Israel, and Mrs. Sheila Kurtzer, president, Corps Diplomatique.
• Delegates will be fully briefed on Hadassah’s medical and educational projects in Israel and entertained by Israeli singer Dudu Fisher and the political satire musical group, the Capitol Steps.
To register for the 91st National Convention, please call the Convention hotline at: (877) 790-2676 or visit email@example.com.