Home > Hadassah National News
"Operation Protective Edge" Talking points, July 8,2014
- Over the past few weeks, over 300 rockets have been fired at Israel, and therefore the Israeli government has ordered the commencement of “Operation Protective Edge'.
- The terrorist organization Hamas has been under enormous pressure taking into account that they haven’t gained anything from the kidnapping and murder of the three abducted Israeli teenagers.
- Hamas has chosen to escalate this situation, and are currently using the people of the Gaza Strip as a shield for terrorist activities during this time of the Ramadan. This is the reality the Hamas wishes for its people.
- We are currently seeing an increase in violence, therefore the level of operational alert has increased. The Israeli army has called up 1,500 reserves soldiers and officers and in the upcoming days more will be called. As of this moment, we know that this will not be a short operation; Hamas militants have over 10,000 rockets targeting cities as far as Tel Aviv and beyond.
- In spite of these actions, The IDF does everything possible to minimize civilian causalities. Such tactics involve: 1) phone calls to all homes that are being used forcibly as centers for terrorist activities that are going to be bombed; 2) pin point precision rockets; and 3) the 'knock on the roof' tactic- where Israel deploys a 'scare' bomb which only makes noise in order to make civilians leave the targeted area.
- In combined efforts of both aerial and naval forces, the IDF targeted approximately 50 terror sites and targets across the Gaza Strip, commencing ‘Operation Protective Edge' – aimed to regain stability to the residents of Southern Israel, eliminate Hamas' capabilities and destroy the terror infrastructure operating against the State of Israel and its civilians. The IDF also targeted concealed rocket launchers, launching infrastructures, training bases, terror tunnels' shafts and further targets.
- Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, IDF Spokesman said, "In the past weeks, residents of southern Israel were forced into an unbearable reality – a situation they haven't encountered in these scales since November 2012. In light of these circumstances, the IDF commenced operation 'Protective Edge'. We are determined to lay a significant blow on Hamas' terror capabilities and infrastructure, eliminate any threat on Israeli sovereignty emanating from the Gaza Strip and restore stability to the southern region."
- Beer Sheva and all the cities within 40km from the Gaza Strip are under instructions from the Home Front Command to be close at all moments to a shelter. No studies, work or gatherings will be taking place currently.
- Hadassah’s priorities at this moment are providing unparalleled medical care for those in need, as well as protecting Hadassah Medical Organization staff and patients, Youth Aliyah children and their families, and Young Judaea staff and students. Our two Youth Aliyah Villages have reached out and offered home hospitality to all of the districts in the south. We will do whatever we can to bring a sense of calm to our family in Israel.
Here are links with official information as well: