|Show Support for Israel: Operation Pillar of Defense |
On November 14—in response to an escalation of rocket attacks from Gaza— the Israeli Defense Forces initiated Operation Pillar of Defense. Since the launch, and the killing of Hamas Commander and Chief-of-Staff Ahmed Jabari, Hamas has launched both a military and public relations campaign to destabilize and delegitimize the State of Israel.
It is essential that the world community understand the facts on the ground. Israel is depending on us—now more than ever. Join the Jewish and international communities in standing side-by-side with Israel.
Visit the Hadassah National Action Center to thank your elected officials for their unequivocal, bipartisan support of Israel and urge them to maintain their commitment.
Hadassah strongly urges its Members, Associates, and supporters to share their support for Israel with friends, family, and their communities at large. Below is a list of facts and talking points which can be used in discussions, letters to the editor and on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
Visit Hadassah's home page, Facebook and Twitter to share our posts in support of Israel with your networks.
Hadassah will continue to monitor the situation and share additional updates as they become available.
Talking Points: Operation Pillar of Defense
- Prior to Operation Pillar of Defense, Israel used enormous restraint amidst a barrage of attacks
- However, with the attacks intensifying, it became necessary to address Hamas' terror campaign and reestablish greater security for the Israeli people
- Operation Goals:
- Restore security and stability to Israel
- Neutralize Hamas' long range missile capabilities and terror network
- 30,000 IDF reservists have been mobilized
- 4.5 million Israelis, over half the Israeli population, is under attack
- 2,500 rockets have been launch from Gaza since Operation Cast Lead in 2009
- Over 1,000 rockets have been launched this year
- 360 rockets have been launched in the last 48 hours
- 3 adult fatalities and 150 wounded, including two infants in serious condition since the start of Operation Pillar of Defense
- Hamas uses civilian shields, including children
- Israeli missions react to the situation on the ground, responding and adjusting per the presence of civilians in targeted areas
- The Iron Dome missile defense system—which targets rockets aimed at population centers—has a 90 percent success rate, intercepting over one third of rockets from Gaza
- The Israeli government has reiterated appreciation to the United States for past commitments to the Iron Dome system and current statements of support for Israel's right to self defense