With the Proclamation (left to right) are Vice President of Education Gloriann Levy of Skokie; Yelena Beylis of Wheeling; Jan Obrand of Buffalo Grove; Karen Jacobson of Wheeling, Vice President of Programming for the North Boundary Group of the Chicago Chapter; Judy Arkin of Skokie, President of North Boundary Hadassah; Myrna Alexander of Northbrook; Jennie Spallone of Buffalo Grove; and Vice President Carol Schwartz of Vernon Hills.
Date: 3/12/2012 12:00:00 AM
- The San Diego Chapter of Hadassah of Southern California held a Centennial Hadassah Shabbat in an aircraft hangar at the Mira Mar Air Station in San Diego. Two Navy chaplains, Rabbi Newman and Rabbi Elson, conducted the service for the community in order to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Hadassah. The program honored Jewish servicemen as well as the founding of Hadassah.
- The Greater Miami Region of Hadassah celebrated Hadassah's Centennial Anniversary at Beth David Congregation, which was the first synagogue founded in Miami in 1912. This joint centennial celebration took place at a special Kabbalat service, "A Century Shabbat: The Impact of Jewish Women." Women who made significant contributions to both organizations and chapter presidents from the Greater Miami Region of Hadassah participated in readings about Jewish women. A wine and cheese reception preceded the service featuring Hadassah's National President, Marcie Natan.
- The Collier County Chapter of Hadassah, in Naples, Florida held a benefit concert "A Simcha in Song" to honor Hadassah's 100th anniversary. Nine Florida cantors and cantorial soloists, including Cantor Donna Azu of Temple Shalom in Naples, participated in this musical journey from Israel to Broadway. Stuart Warshauer and the Naples Klezmer Revival Band also performed. This concert, which was open to the public, benefited the Hadassah Medical Organization and other Hadassah projects.
- Hadassah North Shore and Chicago Chapters celebrated Hadassah's Centennial Year at a Kabbalat Shabbat Service and dinner on February 24, the date that Hadassah was founded, at Congregation Beth Shalom in Northbrook.
- The Westchester Region of Hadassah recently celebrated Hadassah's Centennial at a meeting in its new headquarters in White Plains. Hila Elroy, an advisor to the Consulate General of Israel in New York City, was the featured speaker. She spoke about the political and social situation in Israel and the role of Hadassah in impacting events.
- The City of Wheeling helped celebrate the Centennial Anniversary of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, Inc. Tuesday evening February 21, 2012 by reading aloud and presenting a Proclamation at Wheeling Village Hall to a delegation led by Wheeling resident and Hadassah volunteer Karen Jacobson. The Proclamation was read aloud by Village Clerk Elaine Simpson and presented by Mayor Judy Abruscato who congratulaed Ms. Jacobson and the members of Hadassah for serving as models of hard work, integrity, and dedication for the people of the State of Illinois.