GROWING GREAT JEWISH GIRLS IN THE UNITED STATES
The Hadassah Foundation focuses on leadership and self-esteem issues for adolescent girls because:
- Girls face gender-related issues throughout their development, but many of these issues come into especially sharp relief during adolescence.
- Girls require and deserve the awareness, attention, and commitment of a wide range of individuals and institutions to promote their healthy development.
- Girls experience intense pressure, at ever younger ages, to be everything to everyone all of the time.
- Girls have the right to be themselves and to resist gender stereotypes; to prepare for interesting work and economic independence; to take risks, to strive freely and to take pride in success.
- Girls’ issues traditionally are underrepresented in research and policy debates.
- Research on girls often has focused on risks and negative trends, rather than exploring positive aspects of their lives.
- The voices of girls are rarely heard in research reports or in discussion of policies that affect their lives.