Welcome to our Chattanooga Chapter of Hadassah.
We have 230 Members. In 2011, our chapter's membership increased by close to 65 new Life Members as a result of Hadassah's Centennial Life Membership Offer.
The 2012 Southern Region Spring Conference was held in Chattanooga. Congratulations to Millie Lander, Conference Chair, and all of the Chattanooga Hadassah members who made this year’s Southern Region Spring Conference a fantastic success. Our local chapter members were gracious hostesses, and participation by city officials, university scholars, and Jewish community sponsors demonstrated proud civic support.
At the conference’s annual awards banquet,the Chattanooga chapter was awarded the 2012 Star Chapter of the Year. This wonderful point-based honor is given each year to a chapter that not only exceeds its various goals but, engages its community in Hadassah’s mission locally and in Israel. Chapter President Rhonda Seeber, a dedicated Board, and active members have worked over the last two years to realize Henrietta Szold's mission to help others, foster Jewish continuity, further medical advancement and health education, and address issues important to women and families.
Our small chapter greatly exceeded fundraising expectations thanks in part to many generous Keepers of the Gate and Major Gifts Contributors. Our many endeavors have included educational celebrations at Sukkot and Tu B’Shehvat, community-wide New Year’s greetings, sponsorship of programs at the Jewish Federation's Community Sunday School, dinners for "Room in the Inn" women's shelter, food and toiletries drives at Chanukah, special recognition of B’nai Mitzvot and other lifecycle celebrations, support of JNF through the sale of tree or water certificates, sale of the Dining/Entertainment Guides, outreach to new members, regional leadership trainings,chapter meetings, and special events that enable Hadassah to continue its programs throughout Israel.
Special thanks to Dana Waxler, long time Chattanooga Chapter Member and outgoing Southern Region President. Her support and guidance continues to inspire and energize our chapter. She will continue as a member of the Hadassah Nationa Board.
- US Cannabis Activist Meets Hadassah’s Cannabis Research Pioneer
- Cancer Survivor, Cannabis Activist, and Founder of the Beverly Hill Cannabis Club Cheryl Shuman recently visited Israel to meet with Cannabis Research Pioneer Prof. Raphael Mechoulam of the Hadassah-Hebrew University Faculty of Medicine, whose work provided the basis for the medical community’s embrace of medical marijuana (cannabis). Ms. Shuman, who was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer many years ago, credits cannabis with bringing her back from the brink of death.
- Deep Sequencing Analysis Leads to Major Genetic Discoveries at Hadassah
- Using a deep sequencing analyzer, Prof. Orly Elpeleg, Director of the Hadassah Medical Organization’s Department of Genetic and Metabolic Diseases, and her colleagues have determined the sequence of millions of DNA fragments simultaneously--8,000 times the capacity of the former generation of DNA sequencing machines.
- First Neurology Patients Move in to Hadassah's Hospital Tower
- "Welcome! You are the first," Nira Kedar, head nurse of the the neurology department at Hadassah Medical Organization, said, with a huge smile, to Nachshon Halevy.