Greater Atlanta Hadassah
Greater Atlanta Hadassah (GAH), the metro Atlanta chapter of Hadassah, has existed for 97 years! Founded in 1916, the Greater Atlanta Hadassah chapter is comprised of 3,583 members and associates (92% are life members) who come together to raise funds in support of Hadassah's projects in
Calling All Hadassah members who live in the Atlanta area but belong to chapters outside of Georgia: We have many Hadassah members in the Atlanta area who still belong to out-of-state Hadassah chapters. We would love to get you involved in our Atlanta chapter activities! If we can help you transfer your membership to our Greater Atlanta Chapter and one of our Groups, we would be happy to help you. But, if you love your old chapter and still wish to stay affiliated with it, that is fine as well. Please know that you are always invited to attend any of our Greater Atlanta Chapter events or any of our Atlanta Group events and activities. We welcome you with open arms! If you would like more information on our Atlanta Chapter or if you would like to transfer your membership at this time, please contact Marni Hoffman, GAH MembershipTeam Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Judy Serkin in the Hadassah office at email@example.com (678-443-2961).
Photo of the Week
Gayle Kranz and Cheryl Bloom of the Metulla group have organized "The Crafty Ladies" who meet on selected Fridays at 10:30 in the morning to work on projects such as knitting hats for chemo patients and sewing stuffed animals for children in the hospital. For more information about the good works of the "Crafty Ladies", contact Gayle at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cheryl Bloom at email@example.com.
Pictured: Gayle Kranz, Metulla "Crafty Lady" delivering stuffed animals to Children's Healthcare.
GAH Featured Programs Scroll
Making A Difference - Greater Atlanta Hadassah News and Events December 2013
- Greater Atlanta Hadassah’s First Annual "No-Show" Ball Fundraiser: Hurry! Please make your tax-deductible contribution before the end of December! You can still “RSVP” (and “not” attend). Thank you to the many Greater Atlanta Hadassah members who have already responded to our "invitation" to our first annual No-Show Ball, the “non-event” fundraiser of 2013. We still have “tables” to fill. Help us support the good works of Hadassah. Don’t forget to return your reply card, along with your donation to Hadassah. You may also charge your donation over the phone by calling the GAH office at 678-443-2961. As the invitation states, “The event is virtual, the need is real.” Thank you for your support. More details at Opportunities for Giving.
- Tickets still available for “The Geller Girls” at the Alliance Theater - January 26, 2014. For young sisters Rosalee and Louisa Geller, Atlanta is full of opportunity and optimism for the future. Rosalee has finally convinced her father to help her open her own dress shop (maybe) and Louisa’s childhood sweetheart is about to officially pop the question (they’ve practically been engaged since she was six years old). Yep, any day now… But this is Atlanta in 1895, on the eve of the Cotton States and International Exposition which brings change and uncertainty to the Geller girls. It also brings them Charles Heyman –charming, handsome - from New York City. By favorite Atlanta playwright Janece Shaffer (Managing Maxine, Bluish, Broke), “The Geller Girls” is her fifth play premiered at the Alliance and will be directed by Susan V. Booth. Meet playwright, Janece Shaffer, prior to the play at 6:30 p.m. in Center Space on the Peachtree side of the Alliance building to briefly discuss the play. (Follow the signs.) Tickets: $36.00 ea. | Play starts at 7:30 p.m. Deadline for purchasing tickets is December 13, 2013. Please mail your check, payable to Hadassah, to Anita Levy, 1512 Davis Oaks Way, Decatur, GA. 30033.
- The Nominating Committee is pleased to present the slate for the 2014 Executive Officers:
President: Sue Rothstein
Organizational Vice President: Paula Zucker
Treasurer: Laurie Furem
Recording Secretary: Holly Strelzik
Membership Team Leader: Gerry Taratoot
Fundraising Team Leader: Cheryl Gordon
Education Team Leader: Marsha Kummins
Programming Team Leader: Eileen Cohn
Leadership Team Leaders: Barbara Lang & Katie Kloder
Communications Team Leader: Diane Fisher
Please join us for the Greater Atlanta Hadassah Installation of 2014 Officers and Leadership Training on Sunday, January 5, 2014, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at Temple Sinai. Installing Officer: Toby Parker. Cost: $12.00 for lunch (catering by “For All Occasions”). Please send your $12 check (payable to Hadassah) to the Hadassah office at 47 Perimeter Center East, Suite 210, Atlanta, GA 30346 by December 23rd. Or you may pay by credit card by calling the office at 678-443-2961. Questions? Please call or e-mail Judy Serkin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Training Wheels/Al Galgalim, a Jewish family education program created by Hadassah, lets parents and children (ages 3-5) become partners in discovering the joys of being Jewish. Registration still open. Next session: Tu B’Shevat - January 5. Grandparents welcome too!
- January 6, 2014: This is a friendly reminder that it is time to help raise some funds for Hadassah by stopping in at Fuego Mundo, 5590 Roswell Road in Sandy Springs for lunch or dinner on the first Monday of the month. January 6 is the upcoming date to utilize the card. This Argentinian steak house also serves a vegan menu as well. The whole restaurant is gluten free and kosher. Show this card to your server, and Fuego Mundo will give 10% of all your purchases back to Hadassah! Thanks for your support and enjoy a delicious kosher meal!
- If you play Mah Jongg, please order your 2014 Mah Jongg Cards From Greater Atlanta Hadassah. Completed forms – along with checks – are due by January 10. Thank you for supporting Greater Atlanta Hadassah!Also, mark your calendars for Greater Atlanta Hadassah’s Sixth Annual “MAJ MADNESS” Day on Sunday, March 23, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM at Country Club of the South. Registration form>>.
- A Word from Lee Tanenbaum, GAH Webmaster: Greater Atlanta Hadassah's first CyberHunt begins in mid January. You will have the opportunity to win prizes and learn how to navigate www.hadassah.org/atlanta and learn new information about Greater Atlanta Hadassah and its programs and goals. Keep an eye out for your email invite to participate. ........There have been 4565 pages viewed on the Greater Atlanta Hadassah website between 10/2 - 11/30/2013. We hope you are one of GAH's frequent web visitors. If you are, you will notice lots of new content on the site. Please bookmark http://www.hadassah.org/atlanta and visit frequently. Send any edits, additions, or ideas to me at LRTanny@gmail.com or contact me at 678-310-0873. It is a pleasure to serve as the GAH Webmaster.
- The "2013 Opportunities for Giving: A Compendium of Information for Hadassah Members, Leaders, and the Curious" is now available online. To help organize the different opportunities for giving programs in effect for 2013, the SE Region of Hadassah has designed this Compendium to summarize the programs, to indicate where you can find more information and provide links when possible, to answer FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) about popular programs, and even provide modifiable promotional information to make it easier to move ahead with opportunities for giving programs.
- A new GAH Marketplace webpage has been created to inform GAH members about individuals and businesses who have graciously offered to donate a portion of the money earned thru Hadassah member patronage back to Hadassah. Thanks to Ellen Sichel of Custom Calm, Meg Fisher of Elite Tallit, Kiwi Publishing, Fuego Mundo restaurant, Parkway Gold, and www.goodsearch.com for helping us support the work of Hadassah!
- Over 70 Hadassah members and Associates from the Southeastern Region visited Israel in October 2012 for the national Hadassah Convention. Watch this slideshow for a glimpse of the fun had by all.
- Stand with Israel. What can you do?
- Support Israel! Know the Facts! Spread the Word!
- Visit the National Action Center to see what you can do to advocate for Israel.
- Read Hadassah's letter to its membership
- Donate Now to Hadassah's Emergency Fund
- Impact of Crisis in Israel November 2012
- A brand-new Hadassah Centennial Documentary recently aired on JLTV (Jewish Life TV). If you missed it, you can now watch it online here
- Caroline and Joseph Gruss Surgical Wing Dedicated at Hadassah Medical Organization
- Her father loved technical innovation. Her mother was more devoted to traditional ways of doing things. In turn, naming the new Caroline and Joseph Gruss Surgical Wing of the Sarah Wetsman Davidson Tower, with its high tech operating theaters and welcoming family rooms was a perfect fit, said Dr. Evelyn Gruss Lipper, speaking for the Gruss family.
- Hadassah’s Trauma Unit: Teaching the World about Saving Victims of Mass Casualty Events
- For the past 20 years, every student in Hadassah's medical school has participated in a two-week trauma course after finishing his sixth year; as a result, there are almost 3,000 Hadassah graduates practicing medicine around the world who have been trained to treat blast trauma victims and handle triage during a mass casualty event.
- Dr. Yoram Maaravi, Change Agent in Caring for the Elderly
- "It's the best thing to do in medicine; it's fulfilling, fascinating, challenging, and rewarding," says Dr. Yoram Maaravi, the Hadassah Medical Organization's Director of Geriatric Rehabilitation, in describing his career as a geriatrician at Hadassah's Hospital on Mount Scopus.
- Texas First Lady Anita Perry Tours Hadassah's Hospital in Ein Kerem
- During her visit to Israel as part of the Texas Economic Development Mission, First Lady Anita Perry toured the Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem where she received an in-depth briefing from Prof. Yoram Weiss, Medical Director of Hadassah Hospital-Ein Kerem in the Shock Trauma Center.
- Saved from Fatal Meningitis, American Attorney Praises Uniqueness of Hadassah
- "I am alive today because the doctors at Hadassah are not constrained by the traditional paradigm of medical practice or typical treatment modalities," says Michael Weiss, who was recently a very ill patient at the Hadassah Medical Organization. Read about his experience and his admiration for Hadassah's physicians.
- Hadassah’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Center: a Growing Reputation for Success
- Thanks to a wide range of sophisticated diagnostic and monitoring equipment, innovative treatment options, and a dedicated multidisciplinary team with an impressive success rate, the Hadassah Medical Center's Comprehensive Epilepsy Center continues to draw increasing numbers of patients from throughout Israel and abroad.
- Professor Yoram Weiss Named New Medical Director of Hadassah’s Ein Kerem Hospital
- Hadassah Medical Organization Director General Avigdor Kaplan has named Hadassah physician Prof Yoram Weiss as the new medical director of Hadassah's hospital in Ein Kerem.
- Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America Mourns Passing of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America (HWZOA) today joined with the people of Israel and the worldwide Jewish community in mourning the passing of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef.
- Hadassah Remembers Former Prime Minister of Israel Yitzchak Rabin z"l
- In 1995, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin shared the Henrietta Szold Award, Hadassah's highest honor, awarded for their initiation of the peace process with the Palestinians.
- Electrocuted Romanian Medical Student, Airlifted to Hadassah, Making Progress
- David Fintzi's breathing and eating support have been removed so that he's able to speak freely and to eat once again. He is now receiving physical therapy to regain movement in his burned limbs.
- Abandoned Baby Found in Jerusalem Cared for at Hadassah's Medical Adoption Unit
- Last week, the story of an abandoned baby found in Jerusalem's Old City dominated the news. The baby was brought to Hadassah's hospital on Mount Scopus, where the Medical Adoption Unit treated her and are now finding the baby a home.