Recently in eJewish Philanthropy, Hadassah National President Rhoda Smolow wrote about the concrete ways Hadassah is creating a legacy of health and hope. Our community is stronger and more inspiring than ever. This week, leaders from around the country came together online for Hadassah's National Meetings.
The takeaway? As part of the Hadassah community, we have so much to be proud of. And we’re not the only ones who think so. Senator Jacky Rosen — the third Jewish woman to serve in the US Senate — praised our efforts in a special session. "For over a century, Hadassah, one of the largest Jewish organizations worldwide, has championed causes such as women's health and empowerment, combating anti-Semitism, and supporting a safe and secure Israel," she said, adding, "I'm proud to have partnered with Hadassah on important legislation such as the Never Again Education Act and a bill to enhance US-Israel medical research cooperation."
Highlights From Our National Meetings
We hope you'll celebrate our Hadassah community and impact with these highlights and updates.
- Pride, passion and purpose: Watch Hadassah National President Rhoda Smolow share her vision and Hadassah updates about our impact.
- Update from the Executive Director/CEO: Janice Weinman talks about how in the face of social distancing, we've found meaningful new ways to build and strengthen our community and help spread our message of healing.
- New policy statements: Hadassah Delegates passed three policy statements yesterday: on US-Israel Medical Partnerships, on the COVID-19 Pandemic, and on Celebrating Women's Suffrage Through Civic Engagement.
- Talking Zionism: Watch historian Gil Troy and Israeli human rights activist Natan Sharansky talk about Zionism and their new book, Never Alone.
- Learn from a master: Watch and learn. Chef Julie Ohana makes serving up healthy fare easy.
Nama(stay) and stretch at home: Launching today! EVOLVE Hadassah: The Young Women's Network presents a guided yoga video of introductory stretches with Mallory Kovit from the Neshama Young Women's Chapter of Philadelphia.
Celebrate suffrage: The Hadassah Magazine Discussion Group presents "Votes for Women: Jews and the Suffrage Movement." Executive Editor Lisa Hostein moderates a panel of leading American Jewish historians to discuss the contributions of Jewish women to the suffrage movement and what that legacy means today. The event will feature leading American Jewish historians Pamela Nadell, Melissa Klapper, and Judith Rosenbaum, discussing Jewish women who helped shape the American story. July 22, 2020, 7:30 pm EDT.
An illuminating interview: Watch Understanding the Role of Science in Promoting Social Justice and Improving Our Lives with Hadassah member Paula Apsell, the winner of a Lifetime Achievement Emmy for her role as senior executive producer of PBS’s acclaimed NOVA series, as she discusses the science behind urgent issues like COVID-19 and climate change with Lisa Hostein. Sponsored by Hadassah’s Professional Councils — Attorneys and Judges, Nurses & Allied Health Professionals, and Physicians. July 28, 2020, 8:00 pm EDT.
Cooking with Hadassah Magazine: Go retro with this elegant summertime dessert, black forest icebox cake.
- Thought-provoking panel discussion: "American Zionist Women of Color" explores challenges of multiple identities in an American world that too often asks us to set aside one of our identities, with Rabbi Sandra Lawson, named as 1 of 10 Jews to watch on Snapchat by JTA; Tema Smith, an activist committed to building inclusive Jewish communities; and Sabrina Kerbel, a leader of Hadassah Southern California. August 6, 2020, at 6:00 pm EDT.
- Tour a museum from home: This online interactive tour of the Museum of the Jewish People at Beit Hatfutsot includes the museum’s collection of global synagogue models. It’s a perfect way to observe Tisha B’Av, when we commemorate the destruction of the Temple and deepen our connections as Diaspora Zionists. July 30, 2020, 3:00 pm EDT.
In case you missed it: Listen to the launch of Season 2 of The Branch podcast, "The Corona Chronicles."
Ongoing weekly series:
Resilience & Relaxation with Rebecca: Tuesdays at 4:00 pm EDT. Tuesday, July 28 is a special “Invite a Friend” session featuring reflections on the gift of friendship. Invite someone you know to join us.
Follow our online COVID-19 coverage.
NOTE: Many online events will ask for your Hadassah ID number to register.